SUIS Wanyuan’s US High School curriculum reflects our vision and mission, and has been developed on the foundation of an American high college preparatory school credit system. In addition to their participation in four Chinese subjects (as required by the Shanghai government), our high school students engage in a broad, rigorous academic program.
What makes our US High School curriculum unique?
Our curriculum offers an exemplary international education designed to prepare students for university and life as caring global citizens of the world.
In particular, the following elements highlight the uniqueness of the US High School program:
- An American curriculum built on the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS);
- A wide variety of Advanced Placement (AP) courses such as Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, Computer Science A, Music Theory, Physics I, Psychology, Statistics, and more.
- A broad program that includes courses in visual and performing arts, media arts, music and physical education courses;
- The ability of students to design a four-year course portfolio, comprised of both compulsory and elective subjects, under the guidance of our Career and University Guidance Counsellors;
- A curriculum focused on global citizenship and character education;
- A program that is accredited by AdvancED, and international accreditation organization;
- Community service opportunities: our students are integrally involved in participating in community service endeavors locally and within China. Countless opportunities are provided for students to participate in local and global volunteer projects and trips;
- Locally and internationally competitive: our students engage and succeed in academic competitions such as the Shanghai Student Film Festival (S2F2), World Scholars Cup (WSC), Model United Nations (MUN), and the International Genetically Engineered Machine Competition (iGEM);
- A strong athletics program: as members of both the Shanghai Schools Sports Association (SSSA) and the Association of China and Mongolia International Schools (ACAMIS), our students have the opportunity to compete with teams from other schools in China as well as from other countries in Asia in sports such as badminton, basketball, soccer, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee;
- Reputation of excellence: SUIS Wanyuan High School students receive admissions into top universities and colleges around the world.
- We aim to provide a curriculum that is engaging, research based, international, holistic, rigorous, demanding and accessible to all students admitted to the school. Our curriculum affords students the opportunity to fulfill their highest academic potential, as well as focus on their physical, social, moral, cultural, and creative development.
English: English Literature I, English Writing I, English Literature II, English Writing II, American Literature/Honors, Academic Writing, British Literature
Mathematics: Geometry, Algebra II/Honors, Precalculus/Honors, Statistics & Financial Math, Computer Science I, Computer Science II
Science: Physical Science, Biology, Life Science, Physics/Honors, Chemistry/Honors
Social Studies: World History I, World History II, Sociology/Philosophy, Psychology, Human Geography, Business Foundation
Foreign Language: Chinese Language Arts and Chinese Culture I, Chinese Language Arts and Chinese Culture II, Chinese Language Arts and Chinese Culture III, Chinese Literature and Movie Appreciation, Chinese Literature appreciation
Electives: Creative Writing, Drama, Theatre Production, Introduction to Art, Introduction to Music, Advanced Art I, Advanced Art II, Media Arts-film, Media Arts – Digital Photography, Advanced Music I, Advanced Music II, Core Physical Education II, Advanced Physical Education, Yearbook, Publication Design, History through film, , Earth & Space Science, Anatomy & Physiology
AP Courses Offered: AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Calculus AB, AP Statistics, AP Computer Science A, AP Microeconomics, AP Macroeconomics, AP Psychology, AP Biology, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Chemistry, AP Music Theory, AP Studio Art, AP Human Geography, AP World History